The Lost Order

From: "McClellan, George B." little.napolean@UnionArmy.gov
Date: September 13, 1862 1:43:22 PM EDT
To: old.brains@UnionArmy.gov, "Halleck, Henry"
Cc: "Lincoln, Abraham" rail.splitter@UnionArmy.gov
Subject: Lee's Order 191

Well, it looks like the great General Lee has made a huge mistake! Now I have everything I need to beat him!

Just this morning, as we moved cautiously toward Maryland, looking for the Rebel Army, one of my men found Lee's orders of march in a field, wrapped around 3 cigars. A man on my staff knew Lee before the war and swears it is his handwriting, so I trust that the orders are not fake.

They say that Lee has split up his army all over Maryland. All I have to do is cross South Mountain and crush him! The bad news is that we may lose Harper's Ferry but it might be worth that cost if we can destroy him now and end this war.

I will attach a jpeg of Lee's order so you can see it in detail.

As always, I don't think I have enough troops and hope you will send me more. Our wagon are broke and our horses are tired, so we will have some trouble moving and winning this fight, and if that happens I blame you. If you manage to send us troops in time, though, I'll whip Lee and end this forever.

Yours
General George Brinton McClellan
Commanding General, Army Of the Potomac

No comments: